Saturday, March 12, 2011

SS Girls (1977)




Director: Bruno Mattei

Starring: Gabriele Carrara, Marina Daunia, Macha Magall, Vassili Karis, Tamara Triffez

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Their weapon was desire ... for which there was no defense!

Plot: Top Nazi officials, intent on rooting out traitors and those in the military who may be plotting to overthrow Adolf Hitler, recruit and train a group of beautiful prostitutes whose mission is to use any means necessary to uncover plots against the Fuhrer.




My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? Just like nearly all of the Nazisploitation so far...nope, but I would prefer to watch this one over most of the others.


For the most part, these Nazisploitation flicks aren't worth watching but that doesn't mean there aren't things about them that are good or enjoyable. Plot-wise, SS GIRLS doesn't offer a single thing that's different than the others. What it does have is an outrageously fun performance by Gabriele Carrara as the lead Nazi baddie, Hans Schellenberg. He's so over the top you can tell he's having a grand time at it. I'd swear he was channeling Dick Shawn. The English dub actor for him was OK but I'm curious as to how Carrara's voice would have worked. I suspect it was much better.







I just don't know what to say...I'm so very sorry for your, uh, lack of symmetry.
Where shall I send the flowers?

Like all good little Nazisploitation flicks, this one brings the gratuitous nudity and quick. There's a Nazi whore training montage in the beginning that goes all over the place. If you're still tuned in after this, you're in it 'til the end.











Here's yet another Nazisploitationer that heavily borrows exterior battle scenes from other movies. Some of the footage in this one was used in FRAULEINS IN UNIFORM (1973) which was lifted from another WWII flick. Priceless.

"You little slut! You're pregnant. Didn't you know that?"

Is anyone buying that this guy's supposed to be German?







Nazi Quagmire's bedroom!

MOM! I think my bed's infested with something!

MEIN GOTT!! It's like I'm looking in a mirror!




The pacing in this one is better than most of the others, the story, while predictable, is fun, the acting is fine, Gianni Marchetti's score is at times delightful and at others, downright embarrassing. I know I bitch all the time about how movies are often too long. This one loses steam in the last 20 minutes. The villain has left the stage and there's just too much battle footage that brings down the final act. You could very quickly and easily trim a solid 10 minutes of excess, still get the point across, get to the climax and be on your way. Next.


No comments:

Post a Comment